Author Topic: Here's news about my idol, Lt. Col Buan  (Read 3099 times)

anak ni sarge

• Ambulance
  • Awesome!
Here's news about my idol, Lt. Col Buan
« on: October 26, 2004, 08:28:55 AM »
Reb slain by troops under ex-NPA captive

Updated 11:30pm (Mla time) Oct 25, 2004
By Jhunnex Napallacan
Inquirer News Service

Editor's Note: Published on page A16 of the Oct. 26, 2004 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

CEBU CITY, Cebu, Philippines -- A suspected rebel was killed in a clash Sunday in Tubigon, Bohol with elements of the 1st Scout Ranger Battalion based in Carmen, Bohol under the command of former New People's Army captive Lt. Col. Noel Buan.

The Scout Ranger team was on a reconnaissance operation when it chanced upon some 20 armed men believed to be New People's Army (NPA) rebels in the boundaries of Sitio Macapan, Barangay Tan-awan and Sitio Kawasan, Barangay Ilijan Sur in Tubigon, Bohol shortly before 1 a.m. Sunday.

Mario Concha, 34, of Cabayugan, Calape died after the 45-minute gunfight that started at around midnight.

Central Command (Centcom) spokesperson Lt. Col. Jefferson Omandam said the manhunt operation continued until about 4 a.m. The suspected rebels were believed to belong to the Front 1 Central Visayas Regional Party Committee of the Communist Party of the Philippines-NPA.

Omandam said the Scout Rangers also recovered an M-14 Armalite rifle and a binocular from the site.

M/Sgt.  Narcisco Tabañag Jr. of the Civil Relations Group(CRG) of the AFP in Bohol, said Buan did not actually join in the operation as earlier reported. He said Lt. Magtanggol Panopio, team leader of the 2nd Scout Ranger Company of the 1st Scout Ranger, led the patrol.

Omandam said Buan's men were conducting a strike reconnaissance operation when they encountered a group of about 20 communist rebels.

"They simply scampered away to different directions after the encounter," Omandam said in mixed Cebuano and English.

Go, Col. Buan, go. Your first star has already been minted. The laurel leaves have been wooven to fit your head, and the country is awaiting to crown its hero. Your story is one great paragraph amid the chapters of scandal that beset the AFP in the book of the Republic of the Philippines.
PN according to Manokski:
"something gray with a side number on it that floats"
PAF according to Ramon J. Farolan:
"we are now basically a helicopter fleet"
PA according to drkula
"it is better to talk forever than fight forever"

Anak ni sarge

"Applying the standards of the rest of the country for what is acceptable and logical behavior in order to predict what this group of people will do is dangerous and can be faulty. Too many analysts and military commanders have already made that same mistake."
ka nognog

xyz

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 10:34:18 AM »
Payback's a bitch, rebels. Hehe.

Uh, M-14 Armalite?

lakan

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 01:05:22 PM »
Central Command (Centcom) spokesperson Lt. Col. Jefferson Omandam said the manhunt operation continued until about 4 a.m.

So they were equipped with night vision goggles?

The Scout Rangers also recovered an M-14 Armalite rifle and a binocular from the site

How many times have I read in Philippine newspapers that a M-14 is also an Armalite, or are they right?

It should be interesting to find out if the binocular is a civilian type that the NPA just bought from a sports store or collected as a revolutionary tax from a Chinese businessman or an AFP issue.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 06:05:46 PM »
So they were equipped with night vision goggles?

[ yup

israeli

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 07:07:57 PM »
anak ni sarge, is Lt. Col. Noel Buan a graduate of the PMA?  :?:
"I'm very determined. If I decide what something is worth doing, then I'll put my heart and soul to it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." - Lee Kuan Yew

RDC

• To disarm people is the best way to enslave them.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 07:16:27 PM »
Quote from: lakan

How many times have I read in Philippine newspapers that a M-14 is also an Armalite, or are they right?

Most reporters have no idea about weapons which is why they can't write a decent pro-gun story or even a story with armaments invilved.

I've seen "shotgun" and "Armalite" used interchangeably in one article. People think there were "tanks" used in Edsa 1....

The M-14 Armalite is my favourite crack up.  :lol:

Someone should take these guys down to Crame or Aguinaldo to be given weapons training and familiarization.
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest.” — Mahatma Gandhi

“The fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts individuals only insofar as their interests coincide with those of the State. Fascism is opposed to classical liberalism that denies the State in the name of the individual. Fascism reasserts the rights of the State as expressing the real essence of the individual. The maxim that society exists only for the well-being and freedom of the individuals composing it does not seem to conform with nature's plans. If classical liberalism spells individualism, then fascism spells government.  — Benito Mussolini, Fascism: Doctrine & Institutions, 1935

israeli

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 07:24:02 PM »
RDC, you can really see how big the difference between the Defense correspondent corps here in the Philippines and in the Pentagon?

only in the Philippines can you see the OV-10s called "fighter jets" and the Simba wheeled APC called "tanks"...  :lol:  :lol:
"I'm very determined. If I decide what something is worth doing, then I'll put my heart and soul to it. The whole ground can be against me, but if I know it is right, I'll do it. That's the business of a leader." - Lee Kuan Yew

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 08:41:12 PM »
Quote from: israeli
only in the Philippines can you see the OV-10s called "fighter jets" and the Simba wheeled APC called "tanks"...  :lol:  :lol:

Maybe because of the sorry-state of our armed forces, calling the OV-10s as "fighter jets" and the APCs as "tanks" would give them "more teeth".   :cry:

masterchief

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 09:32:03 PM »
Quote from: Anonymous

Maybe because of the sorry-state of our armed forces, calling the OV-10s as "fighter jets" and the APCs as "tanks" would give them "more teeth".   :cry:

Para naman high-tech pakinggan, para sa pangkarinawang mamamyan na mababasa yan sa pahayagan, mag mumukhang 'capable' ang ating AFP. Parang noon na label na warship yun bagong "Cyclone class patrol ship" kulang na lang sabihin nila na destroyer or frigate.

anak ni sarge

• Ambulance
  • Awesome!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 07:08:55 AM »
anak ni sarge, is Lt. Col. Noel Buan a graduate of the PMA?  :?:

AFAIK, yes
PA according to drkula

Anak ni sarge

"Applying the standards of the rest of the country for what is acceptable and logical behavior in order to predict what this group of people will do is dangerous and can be faulty. Too many analysts and military commanders have already made that same mistake."
ka nognog

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 07:40:25 AM »
maalalala ko, nasaan na ba ngayon iyong ating mga Tora-Tora Jet fighter :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 07:41:18 AM »
at iyon din palang Phantom jet na F-5 natin,

xyz

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 08:07:48 AM »
maalalala ko, nasaan na ba ngayon iyong ating mga Tora-Tora Jet fighter :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I think the Tora-Toras are still being used as a trainer. As for the F-5, still grounded?

anak ni sarge

• Ambulance
  • Awesome!
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 06:20:04 AM »

They were sold in the open market a long time ago. A private collector in Australia got one but most of them ended up in the United States, that's as far as I can recall from Manokski's posts, eons ago.
PA according to drkula

Anak ni sarge

ka nognog

anak ni sarge

• Ambulance
  • Awesome!
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 06:26:21 AM »
at iyon din palang Phantom jet na F-5 natin,

Read this:

http://timawa.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725&highlight=f4
PA according to drkula

Anak ni sarge

ka nognog